Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Mountain

I was halfway down the mountain, because
I didn't know there was a peak, but the
voices on the lift kept telling me to leap.

I didn't know what that meant, so I stayed among the
stragglers. I held on. I thought I heard a whisper,
so I skied down a little. But it was only the wind.

I wasn't feeling well, so I told the medics to
rescue me. 'You're too far gone,' was their reply.
And my knees buckled. I couldn't breathe.

Turning around to block the air, I saw the peak.
It laughed at me with teeth wide open. It's dark shadow
kept curling in downward circles. Then I realized they were rocks.

The space between was minor. And when the first rock hit
my chest blew up. And the voices said to leap, but I
kept holding on. Then I hit the bottom.

My hands were the only thing left. They were still
clinging to that rock with bloody fingers. The peak roared in
laughter. I removed one finger from the rock, and climbed back up the mountain.

1 comment:

  1. I read this several times. I have no idea what it means, or what it's about. And that's ok.

    ReplyDelete