Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Struggle

Sometimes I watch these movies and when I get out of the theater or when I step away I just don't feel like saying anything. I literally have nothing to say, my mind is a complete blank which is the complete opposite of how I normally am. I walk out of these movies and I have this desire to spend the next 30 minutes in silence, just reflecting on the film. Talking about it ruins it, makes it cheesy, makes it seem more like a corporate production and less like a remarkable story that I just witnessed with my own 2 eyes.

I have always been fascinated by other people's stories. Unfortunately this fascination has taken more form in books, plays, tv, and movies, with characters far removed from me and my life, and less with the characters I see on a daily basis. I struggle to become fascinated with these familiar people. Give me a stranger, and I can jump right in, but give me a friend and I struggle. I struggle to sympathize with them. I struggle to put myself in their shoes. I struggle to be impressed by them. I struggle to understand that their problems and their issues are just as real, if not more so, than any of those characters I read about in books or see in films.

And sometimes, when it really counts, I struggle to do the most important thing, which is to care, because sometimes I'm just too selfish to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe its just that certain people, like us, always throw land mines in front of things they really want, and self-destruct. What is the point of helping out that friend? They will always be in and out of our life, when convenient, and will never really know who I am. Why fix that relationship with our family? They will just disappoint us in the future. Why allow our feelings to be tied in with another relationship? I will get hurt, hurt them, and worst of all have to confront the feelings of all my part relationships all over again, and who would wait that out?

    Everyone deserves to have somebody who would risk moving those land mines, and show us that we really deserve what we want. When you find that person, you will no longer throw the land mines because are too busy wondering how you finally found your "minesweeper." And you will be addicted to them, even more than the game.

    Maybe, we are too unimpressed with ourselves that we are waiting for someone to actually care that we don't care. We bury ourselves in television, movies, and writing blogs, instead of working on our own endings because we fear we will never have our storybook ending. Perhaps, we are trying to live the cliff-note version of our lives. We need to take the time to develop the characters in our lives, to make the ending meaningful. How can we enjoy our "minesweeper," or reality TV, without the rising action?

    ReplyDelete