Monday, November 8, 2010

I've Decided I'm Going to Start Using this More

friction

We were right where we left off
Your words were grinding up against me
churning like a pepper mill
I swept freckled flecks off my chest
only this time when I looked up
it was your eyes that were empty
and mine were green as grass

but as the ice fell to the bottom of our glasses
and our resistance fell to shit
blue would bleed into your empty irises
and need would swallow up
our trembling fingertips
so we could reach out
to latch the rusty hitch

And then the morning after
The center of my chest
was throbbing like a newborn's mind
just trying to absorb
every sparkling stimulus
I couldn't think of anything
no witty pun at your new haircut
or criticisms of the way you clean
your kitchen floor was spotless anyway

So when the autumn leaves rushed
up into my lingering window
brushing my eager skin
as your house went out of view
I knew that everything was different
felt different
felt bigger
than even we could understand

I know you're scared but so am I
these things aren't cast in stone
they crumble when a black cat passes
But even if this falls to pieces
you change your mind or I get bored
there will still be scars
crisscrossing down my chest
from when I tried to get inside
tried to rip apart my flesh
just enough to let you in

But maybe it's enough
Just to know you went for something
that felt like jagged edges
twisting and contorting
tearing at your core
until they wore you down to flawless marble
and afterwards
you still had the courage to try again

No comments:

Post a Comment